The mortising process can turn critical in many cases if the wrong tools are selected. Lack of stability and low power can cause less efficient performance if not the malfunction of the whole unit. For professional users choosing the right tool may become an essential task. And power is a primary criterion. The ½ horsepower induction motor of JMB-5 Jet Mortiser shows an excellent performance without any tension to the system.
JBM-5 Jet 1/2 Horsepower Bench Mortiser Review
- Easy to operate
The appliance has 44 pounds of weight and comes with the mechanism that allows to shift in reverse at the base. This feature provides extra convenience for mortising the long stocks.
- Easy bit replacement
You’ll have more working room with the 4-inches chuck key. Just open the doors and get easy access to the chuck.
- Secure grip
The 3-jaw drill chuck can firmly hold the bits for up to ¾-inch chisels
- Durable base
The head is attached to a heavy-duty iron base. You’ll get four pre-made mounting holes for easy fixing.
- Feed handle adjustment
You can set your feed handle at any position according to your preferences.
The model has a quick depth stop function and a toggle switch that can be removed.
- 5 HP is an impressive number for a mortising machine.
- 1752 RPM is suitable for the majority of operations, especially with the proper tools applied.
- The chisel bits are sharp. There’s no need to buy another set of accessories.
- Screw fixation of the column. The model comes with two assembly hole patterns. The second position allows you to turn the drill head around 180 degrees. Thus, you can work with a bit taller stock.
- The hold down bracket clamps evenly.
- Easy adjustment of the depth stop. No additional tools are required.
- Long objects can be mortised without any problem.
- Easy-to-follow English manual.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Less efficiency on an uneven surface. The clamps require some adjustment in this case. You can add a piece of wood, for example, to stabilize the unit.
- The iron table is not big enough.
- The poor design of adjustable fence.
We also decided to attach the list of frequently asked questions to the article. Some of those you might ask too.
- Does it work with the hardwood too?
The model has a 1752 RPM motor installed, so the hardwood is not a problem. If you see the wood start burning, take some time. The bits and chisels should be sharp enough for that type of material, keep that in mind.
- Can I use it as a drill press?
Yes, you can use it as a drill press. But it may turn to be fast for drilling a smooth hole through since the spindle speed cannot be changed. The unit works better with square holes, though.
- What chisels are supplied for it?
There are ½, ¼, and ¾-inch models.
JBM-5 is a powerful device, meant for all kinds of mortising works. As seen from the article, it has its pros and cons, but those “cons” can be easily fixed by an experienced user, leaving you no reasons to worry. With an affordable price and the features included, the machine may become a reliable assistant for both professionals and the beginners.
Latest posts by Robert Griffin (see all)
- JET 354165 JDP-15M 15″ Bench Drill Press ¾ HP Review - October 27, 2015
- Shop Fox W1668 3/4-HP 13″ Bench-Top Drill Press - October 27, 2015
- Rikon 30-100 8-Inch Drill Press - October 27, 2015